For any organisation where team members work in different offices or work at different times, communication and collaboration become powerful factors in efficiency. The days where the Intranet was just a tool for publishing company policies and making announcements are gone – with SharePoint your staff can all manage content, communicate effectively and collaborate in both work and social contexts.
Parabola have a very broad experience implementing SharePoint Intranets. We can take you through a proven process from concept to deployment, taking care to involve your team at every step and working towards staff buy-in, rapid user adoption and finally handover of a solution you can administer, develop and support yourselves.
In our experience the best intranets become a combination of the following solutions but customers often start out by aiming for 1 or 2 of these.
Communication – Publishing Portals
Publishing Portals (Intranets) can be used as communication platform within an organisation. SharePoint offers the following to support this:
- Ownership of content
- Content approval workflows
- Great web design
- RSS feeds from external content sources such as Twitter
- Powerful search of all content including documents
- Document repositories with document publishing tools
Sharing – Collaboration Portals
Improved team performance by connecting people, information and processes using:
- Microsoft Office integration
- Document Collaboration
- Forums/Discussion Boards/Surveys
- Internal Chat and Online Meetings (requires Lync server)
- Presence indicators (requires Lync server)
Networking – User Profiles
SharePoint 2013 user profiles support productivity and social networking within your organisation to drive adoption and business efficiency.
- Staff Profiles – replace your phone list with a searchable directory of Staff
- About Me, Ask Me About – Staff can profile their experience and internal knowledge
- Newsfeed - provides users with relevant, timely information about the content they follow
- Personalisation and audience targeting of content
- Events Calendars
- Notice boards – online tools for staff to publish information within the organisation
Online Processes – Workflows and Online Forms
SharePoint provides various Power User tools for replacing paper forms with online tools. In addition SharePoint can become a platform for automating non-simple business processes using the powerful developer toolset of Microsoft .NET.
- InfoPath Forms
- Excel Services
- Access Services